Today I had a date with Nasuuna to go see Disney on Ice. Before we left we went to the grocery store to make sure there was a meal waiting for the boys when they got back from their activities. Cullen was out tubing with a friend and Nick & Gere were at a wrestling tournament. As soon as we walked into the produce aisle Nasuuna spotted sugar cane. We bought a piece that is over 5' long and made it out of the store without knocking anything off the shelves, a miracle.
As soon as we got home Nasuuna wanted it cut it up. When I started to get out the sawzall Nasuuna informed me, "That not be how you do it..." Shockingly, I didn't lose a finger in the process of getting this just how she wanted it with a knife.
Nasuuna was so happy with the treat...
I ended up having to cut another bag full of sugar cane so she could take it with her the rest of the afternoon.
Disney on Ice was pretty amazing if I should say so myself. We went with some good girl friends and had a great time. Before we went I explained that the entire show was on ice and the characters would be ice skating. She said, "Like Geremu?" Um, not exactly;) Half way through the show she said, "Mom, Dat be ice? Dat be REAL ice?"
Before I continue on with the story I want to say that Nasuuna's language had really developed. She has been in the United States for about 15 months and she is an a-mazing little sponge. She still has her adorable accent that seems thicker to me when I talk with her on the phone. Since she has picked up the language so quickly it's hard to remember that some times she has no idea what we are talking about because she just doesn't have the background knowledge. Tonight was one of those nights...
Nasuuna has not seen any of the Disney Movies that were a part of this show, because of her lack of Disney knowledge she was more than a little confused. When the characters would talk she had no idea who was talking because their mouths don't move and she doesn't know what voice goes to what character. She could not figure out "Why that man (Pinocchio) nose be so long?" When Belle (from Beauty and the Beast) was on the ice dancing the Beast came to join her and Nasuuna yelled, "AHHHH, A MONSTER!" I corrected her and told her it was a beast to which she said, "A beast be a bear?" During the Nemo segment a large shark came out- it was clearly two skaters under the costume. She said to me, "Mom fish have legs?" The questions were priceless and just kept on coming.
On our car ride home after leaving our friends house she had a lot of questions about the show. Even through she didn't always know what was going on she still loved it because it was fun to watch. Once we were home Geremu wanted to hear all about the show. Nasuuna said, "I don't know anyone. Mom you tell Geremu about it." Gere was disappointed he wasn't invited but once he learned we were not the ones ice skating he didn't seem to care about the show.


No comments:
Post a Comment