Saturday, April 5, 2008

Running on Empty

Today I got up early, ate breakfast and headed off with Nick's truck to get a painting job done. Since I've had Cullen I don't take a ton of painting jobs but I do still paint once in a while, especially when I can work it where it doesn't take away from family time. So off I went to conquer the world and needless to say I didn't make it very far. I ran out of gas as I was getting onto the interstate. Apparently, Nick was running low on gas and forgot to tell me. I'm no rookie at running out of gas, I'm actually an old pro (my old car didn't have an accurate gas gage), but I haven't run out of gas in at least 5 years. I had to walk off the highway then into 4 different businesses to ask to use their phone because the first 3 wouldn't let me. I'm pretty sure my appearance didn't help my cause. I hadn't showered and just pulled my hair back, I also had clothes on with paint all over them. When Nick finally can to my "rescue" he informed me that he didn't have much gas in the container so it was very possible that I just might run out again before I made it to a gas station. I'm sure I had the look of horror on my face so he added, "Ann, just think wouldn't it be really funny if you ran out twice in one day?" Um, no! Did I mention that the reason he didn't have much gas in the container was because he had used most of the gas before to get to school? Well I did learn an important lesson from all of this, never leave the house looking like a scrub without a cell phone. I sure do wish I had a picture to share with you of what I looked like but for some reason Nick didn't think to bring the camera.

It was a beautiful day here and we got a lot done. Nick and Cullen were outside all day. I was able to finish the painting job pretty quickly and enjoy the afternoon with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember this quote? "I have my running shoes in the trunk, you need to relax."

AnnMarie & Nick said...

Sure do, I will never forget the look on your face when I said, "Oh no this is not good." I felt like I needed to give you some piece of mind, I think having running shoes in the trunk is comforting. At that point I was sort of regretting tell you to be a gambler when we were around the Dells. Look at the bright side we coasted into Mauston on fumes, that's almost unheard of- you can thanks me for those memories:)

CC said...

haha i'll never forget that! The car started shaking & Marg was freaking out! "Don't tell Bob!"