Sunday, December 4, 2011

Deck the Halls

After a little shopping excursion the other night I pulled up to our home and noticed something was missing...

I walked into the living room to find perhaps the World's Widest Christmas Tree. While I was away the boys made an executive decision to chop a tree out of our front yard as our Christmas tree.

We don't live in the country and I was not aware of the fact that we were raising a Christmas tree. The tree was already in the stand and put up in the living room but completely undecorated. Since the boys seemed so on their Christmas game I was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to do any tree decorating this year. When Nick left for work the next morning and the tree was still completely undecorated he gave me a few instructions which included, "Don't let any of the kids touch the tree... The tree might fall." Really? I'm staying home these days and keeping kids away from a tree that takes up half the living room is nearly an impossible task.



Since it had been roughly a weeks since Nick first put the tree up I assumed he took care of the tree falling issue and just lost the enthusiasm to decorate. So while he was out I decided to put the lights onto the Christmas tree. One thing lead to another and I found myself wrestling with the tree just trying to keep it from crashing through the front window. I could see my neighbor across the street in her driveway, during my wrestling match I was also yelling or perhaps even screaming to her. We recently replaced all of our windows and they may now be sound proof... Or she was just ignoring me. Needless to say the tree won but it did not break a window so I wasn't totally defeated. There was a reason "the tree might fall", the stand was totally mangled. I ran out and bought a new Christmas tree stand and then went over to our next door neighbor (who should work for State Farm) and he helped me get everything set.


So today when our adoption social worker came for our one month post placement visit we appeared to totally have it together...

At one point Nick did say, "I can't believe the tree is still standing with lights on, I guess it's sturdier then I thought." So the truth came out, perhaps we don't totally have it together.


Today I was looking out the window and saw this tree... It's in the front yard of my neighbor who didn't answer my distress calls/screams. Needless to say she is really going to have to put some sort of tall electric fence around that thing next year. I can kind of see a glow on the top of it that says "The German Family Tree 2012."


Turns out Nasuuna is a HUGE Packers fan. Look at her enthusiasm as she watched the Packers beat the Giants tonight.

Hope to be back to blogging more now that things are sort of settling down. Between trying to find a new normal, Thanksgiving, and then Nick's Grandpa passing away this past week we have been a bit out of sorts around here.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

What a story! LOL
Looks amazing : )

aerdna said...

Your little girl totally rocks her low 'fro. Love it!

hotflawedmama said...

that is the funniest shit I've read in a few days. I think our families might be lifemates should we live closer.

Since your neighbors don't know me and couldn't recognize me in a lineup you just let me know if you need my discreet help next year. ;)

fiddlehead said...

Wow....I just caught up on your life. Congratulations!