Thursday, December 22, 2011

Adjusting

When we first got home we were in a short honeymoon phase. The kids were pumped to play together and get to know one another. That was short lived, I was avoiding blogging about adjustment because frankly it wasn't all roses and rainbows.

Cullen had been waiting for another sibling patiently for a long time. He is easy going and nothing seems to bother him. He has adjusted easily to having a sister. So easily he told Santa he wanted a DS and another brother or sister. The one thing that seemed to bother Cullen was that Nasuuna didn't want him kissing or hugging her. Cullen is a huggy, lovey boy and Nasuuna wasn't about to accept his love freely.

Geremu has had a bit of a hard time adjusting. Honestly this hasn't surprised us. In fact, we predicted that Geremu would have the hardest time adjusting. He isn't the type of kid that likes change... He has a hard time with change. His world was rocked when I left the country. It was a long time to be away from him. When Nasuuna came home I think he felt like he was unsure of his place in the family. He wanted to be the "big brother" but she is very independent and doesn't want his help. To complicate things, in a two week period we had two deaths in the family. Geremu has been trying to put all the pieces together... From his past and everything that is currently going on. He has a lot of questions and needs a lot of reassurance. He no longer knew what his place/roll was in the family. It has been hard to see him struggle. He needed attention and he was doing everything possible to get it. He constantly had his guard up and would fight every battle with everyone. The only thing that seemed to help was to keep him busy. Hello YMCA...

Nasuuna is resilient, it's an amazing thing to see actually. She adjust to changes unbelievable well. She is an easy, fun-loving kid that can play by herself or with others quite nicely. She likes to be held, rocked and tickled. She enjoys spending time with me and helping around the house. I never would have predicted she would adjust so easily. She enjoys all foods, is a great sleeper and is a huge repeater. She will say anything I tell her to and clearly. She understands more English than she speaks but she has really come a long way. She loves the app uTalk Luganda and it has been a great way for us to communicate. She is a joy to be around.

This week has been AWESOME. All of the kids are doing amazing! What has changed? Last weekend Nasuuna and I left for the weekend. I wasn't sure if it was the best idea, but I figured it would be good for us to get away. Geremu was exhausting me... And I was afraid that Nasuuna was not going to like him if he didn't stop some of the stuff he was doing. We were gone a totally of 3 nights and every night Nasuuna asked "Go home?" It did make me a bit sad... I'm not sure she understood that we were only leaving for a little while and that we would be going back home. I kept trying to reassure her but it was obvious she missed "Cullenie and Geremuie." We ended up Face Timing and Skyping with the boys so she could still see them. Nick said that Geremu had a great weekend, his behavior was awesome. I'm sure he was exhausted from constantly having his guard-up. Cullen and Geremu both missed Nasuuna. Since we have come back things seem so much better. The kids are all playing great together and enjoying family time. Nasuuna is even accepting Cullen's love:)

The below pictures are from this week. Geremu has discovered that Nasuuna might play shy when it comes to dancing but she enjoys to bust a move just about as much as he does...






The dreidel game is the kids current game of choice. They play it with m & m's so really what's not to like about it?



Since we are leaving town as a family for Christmas we decided to give the kids their Christmas gift from us early. They LOVED the drums we brought them from Uganda. *Take note that Geremu lost his other front tooth yesterday. All he wants for Christmas are his two front teeth:)



Lastly, here is a picture of Cullen up on stage during his holiday concert... He could not have been more excited when he spotted us. Love this picture!


2 comments:

masons12 said...

so sweet to see your family all together and for you all to be coming together as a family.

fiddlehead said...

I clearly remember the adjustment period with our sweet girl. It rocked my world, and I am sure hers, and was totally unsure of so many things during that time. It felt like it lastest a very long time while I was in it, and it was a very lonely feeling at times. My well meaning family and friends just couldn't see what I was talking about and feeling (Tessa was 8 months old when she came home). Thankfully we are on the other side of it now....someday you will be too. Until then keep listening to those instincts about what you and each of the little one's are needing. Take care