Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wenchii

I have no idea if Wenchii is spelt correctly (I saw it spelt several different ways and locally it seemed to be pronounced without the n). I hired a driver, Zinabu, and translator, Lemlem, to hang out with me. I really liked both of them and hope to get in touch with them again. It was sort of like paying people that I really liked to hang out with me. Zinabu did not speak any English but he seemed to like me and I enjoyed his company. I had a book and had highlighted things I would like to see/do while I was in Ethiopia. Wenchii was one of those things.

Travel was rough and with all the rain Ethiopia has had the road was not in good condition, think washed out in places. The elevation was roughly 23,000 meters and once we arrived we hiked down the mountain to Crater Lake. Here are some of the sights of this trip...
The locals seemed to be a close knit community. The kids came out to check us out and follow us along the way.
Once at the lake I was able to cross over to a church on an island by boat. The boat was taking on water which really didn't concern me too much, I figured if nothing else I know how to swim. The lake was weedy and didn't appear too deep. I had to hire a second translator because my translator did not speak the local language. Since things were translated twice I'm pretty sure some stuff got lost in translation. It was a relaxing and beautiful day. When it was time to head up from the lake I started on a mule (something I had never done), it was fine but slow. I switched to a horse (again, something I have never done) and by the time I got to the top my abs were feeling it. Not only are the people of Ethiopia petite/small but also are the animals. I'd post a picture of me on the mule/horse but I'm not going to so I can avoid comments about me crushing the animals- LOL.

No comments: