Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Babies

Geremu's teacher had a baby yesterday.  Geremu came home today and told us all about the babies arrival, which was basically just the babies name.  Then he asked me how babies get out of tummies....  Before I could even figure out how to explain this to him Nasuuna took over.  She didn't even have to use words, she pretty much did an all out demonstration that included squatting and screaming.  The two boys and I just stood there watching her with our mouths hanging open and eyes bulging out of our heads.  When she was finished Geremu and Cullen killed themselves laughing while Nasuuna smiled at them proud of what she had taught them.  I was silent with shock.

Once Geremu and Cullen pulled it together they wanted to know more,  "Mom is she right?  Is that how it happens?"
Nasuuna said, "Yes, I be right, it's just like peeing."
A statement like that would only naturally be followed up with, "Well then does a girl's dinker swell up?"

I'd love to say that this conversation ended with me reminding the kids that girl's don't have dinkers...  Only boys do.  But that would be way too easy.  I answered their funny questions in an age appropriate way (I hope, fingers crossed) that seemed to satisfy them.

Tonight the kids had religion- on the way to religion we drove by the hospital.  Geremu announced that his teacher was in the hospital with her baby.  (He wanted me to stop so he could go see her.  Yeah, I don't think so kid.)  Nasuuna was shocked to hear this, "Why she be in the hospital?"  I explained that when people have babies they often have them in the hospital.

She informed us, "That not be how you do it.  You go outside, AHHHHHHHH (insert scream), come in with baby.  No hospital."

This girl is a wealth of knowledge....

2 comments:

Kate said...

This is unbelievable! I've been thinking that you have plenty of fodder to write a (very funny) book.

Elizabeth said...

As I was at the birth I can verify it was even easier than that! I so love that they wanted to stop by the hospital and see her. I know she is an amazing teacher.
Mrs. Uecker's mom