Thursday, November 18, 2010

First Girlfriend

A few days ago after school I was going through Cullen's backpack and we were talking about his day. When I asked him what was new at school he said, "I'll tell you what's new Mom, I've got a girlfriend." After asking him a few more questions I learned that a girl in his class, Lauren always asks him if he will be her boyfriend. "Mom, I always say no everyday. But today it was her birthday, so I said sure."

Now I'm all smiles listening to this. I ask him what sort of things do kindergarten girlfriends do. "Play together at recess." Great, I can handle this.

A little while later I'm talking to my sister Megan on speaker phone. She wanted to hear the way Cullen was talking because he got this new appliance put in his mouth and it makes him talk funny (he can't say the letter s). Megan asked Cullen what he liked about his girlfriend to which he replied, "I really like her ponytail."

Now this sounds serious...