Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ugh...

Geremu is getting baptized on Saturday and I wanted him to look extra good for the big day. His hair was getting really very long, knotted and uneven because of how it's been growing. So I decided to take him to get his hair trimmed up just a bit. I wanted to keep the curls, but even everything out. The place I took him to is excellent with hair like his and came highly recommended. Geremu hated the experience and so did I. He sat so good for about 1 minute, once the man started cutting, Geremu lost it. The man was pulling his hair away from his head with a comb and using a clippers against the comb which seemed to me like a good idea for the trim. Once Geremu started flailing around, screaming, etc... it no longer seemed like such a good idea. Since Geremu didn't hold still a large chunk of his hair was gone in back before I even realized it. Long story short, Geremu didn't get a trim, he got a lot of hair taken off. It is really short and he looks like he did in his referral pictures. I don't blame anyone, I never imagined that he would be so afraid while getting his haircut. I know it is just hair but I can't help but be sad because that hair had been a part of him while he was at the care center in Ethiopia and it's all gone now. Like I said earlier with the new haircut he looks so much more like he did in his referral photo, which makes me a little emotional too. Here is a picture that is not very good but you can see just how short his hair is now.

The good news is that despite the haircut his sparkling personality and smile haven't changed one bit. After all the screaming and fighting the hair cutter, Geremu fell asleep in my arms before I even made it into the car afterwards.

2 comments:

Coffeybunny said...

Aw, I'm sorry it was so traumatic. He's still gorgeous, but I understand the emotional aspects of his hair.
Have fun at the baptism, a special day no doubt.
CC

Life's A Journey... said...

He still is SO cute...one day you'll be telling this story at his high school graduation and I'm sure he'll love to listen to it. Have a great day on Saturday!