Friday, June 17, 2011

Good at Summer!

It didn't even take me a full week to get in my summer groove. I am GOOD AT SUMMER... And it turns out so are my kids!

The roof was finished pretty fast, it was a full time job keeping Gere off the ladders and roof. One that I didn't succeed at either. When I asked him to get down he would yell something like "MOM I'M JUST READING!" So I look like the bad Mom not allowing her kid to read in the summer- AWESOME!

The kids caught a toad last night. I had no idea they put it in a "habitat" and kept it. I learn that early this morning when Cullen came running into my bedroom to let me know that "the toad was loose in the house! You've got to come quick!"

Since I am now the proud owner of a "pet toad" I learned that it also needs to be fed immediately after breakfast. So off we went to search a power line field for crickets and anything else alive that the powerlines haven't yet killed.

Geremu's magnifying-glass to his eyeball technique was shockingly unsuccessful...It's hard work chasing flying crickets down... Geremu lost interest and entertained himself...
Geremu has been perfecting his one armed bike riding this summer. I wish I could say I've been encouraging the "trick" my stunt man has been working on but I've been a bit annoyed. He is so busy riding with one arm straight in front of him or out to the side that he has gotten really slow on his bike. Geremu will be a half block behind us and he still refuses to touch the handlebar with both arms. Cullen on the other hand hasn't mastered the brakes on a bike totally so he has trouble slowing down for Gere. Today is the first time I can honestly say one armed biking came in handy! Not only did I watch him hold a net while biking but I also witnessed him eating an Icee while biking. Next up= biking on ice next winter with mittens and a hot chocolate!

This afternoon I took the kids to a local swimming hole. Mostly because "the toad needs a friend." Based off the size of the nets above I'm guessing you can imagine who caught very few tadpoles. He didn't seem to mind because he had other activities he needed help accomplishing...

Some how 10+ tadpoles made it back to my home to join the toad. The toad and tadpoles hadn't got out much today so they went for a ride around their new yard...
Before going for a walk around the block...

Tonight I caught Geremu trying to do wheelies with his bike. He saw some older boys in the neighborhood doing it and through he should give it a try. I took his bike away for fear he would kill himself only to find him practicing the wheelies on his scooter. Geremu is so persistent and strong willed, he is really giving me a run for my money.

No comments: